So here is the scene from Ethan's second day of school.
I've got my house all in order, Ethan is ready for school so I wake the girls up to jump in the car to drop him off. I'm not dressed yet because I figure I'll have to take a shower right when I get home to be ready for our 10 am family dentist appointment and the girls are in their jammies for the same reason I am.
We get in the car.
I drag my bag over to search for the keys and I come up empty handed. Frantically I start searching my entire purse and still I come up empty handed. Then my brain starts to buzz with all the inconvenience and catastrophe for my morning I've just caused and I realize that I chose not to grab my cell phone as I was walking out the door thinking to myself, "I'm just running Ethan 1/4 a mile to school, right?"
Wrong.
I then get out of the car to trudge next door and use their phone to call Brett to drive 35 minutes and give me a key, when I realize something both embarrassing and tragic, I'm not wearing a bra. Maybe some women can get away with this, I'm not one of them.
So I just stood there for several minutes thinking about all the things I just messed up, Ethan will be late for his second day of school after I promised myself I would not make him late this year, none of my kids had eaten and Ethan was going to miss school breakfast, I was going to miss our family dentist appointment and be charged $30 per person for a no show fee. I was not a happy person. So I started slowly walking out front to head next door in all my bra-less-ness wearing the only thing I can fit into lately and still sleep comfortably, my husbands super huge mesh shorts that are falling off of my hip less middle. Oh and the huge t-shirt that was not very effective in hiding certain appendages that are normally held nicely in place by Victoria's big secret.
Luckily I had made plans with my father-in-law to have my Sis-in-law drop him off so he could watch Lily for me while I was at the dentist! They had shown up earlier than I thought they would and I can't tell you the relief I felt at not having to see my neighbors at that point.
So I grabbed car seats, got laughed at a lot, got told I was making Dad and Sis's day by making an idiot of myself, dropped Ethan off on time at school to eat, drove all the way to get the key(where Brett just smiled letting me know I'll never live it down), and got home with just enough time to jump in the shower and get to the dentist 5 minutes late and less than put together.
But I made it, and that's all that matters.
The biggest irony of the whole situation is that I have a key sitting on my kitchen counter that I meant to put in a secret spot outside somewhere yesterday. I'm going to build a time machine, go back to yesterday, and smack myself for being a lazy procrastinator.
A couple hours later I had my 35 weeks doc appointment and all is well. My doctor felt I needed to be told the baby wasn't coming any time soon since I was only 1cm dilated. I refrained from saying "duh" as I've still got 5 endless weeks till this guy is done, but the way he put it was still a big damper on my day. Honestly, the last thing I want to be told at this point is it's going to be a while. That's a conclusion I could have come up with myself without paying a large amount of money for.
5 comments:
I am glad everything worked out...I know being late for a kid can be tragic! I remember those days walking in late...it seemed everyone knew something I didn't and the rest of the day never felt right...so here is some more pressure to never be late!! hahaha!
Put the key under the mat..no one will ever think to look there;)
Doctor appointments are overrated. My last 'appointment' I had to wait twenty minutes just to see the doctor. They time they give you is more of a suggestion ;)
Ai yi yi! Stinking keys! Glad to here it all turned out well (after all the chaos). Here's to your baby proving the doc wrong!
Thanks for the entertaining day. It really was fun and worked out very well.
glad to hear i am not the only one who locks myself out of things while I am prego. At least things turned out somewhat ok.
Post a Comment