Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The New House

So this is the new house, full of awkward corners and ill devised spaces, but hey! it's flee free and comfortable so what more is there to complain about? Other than the fact that it's not in Idaho. And that it's in California. I'm doing my best to forget about that.

I know this first picture isn't technically of the house, but he did this all on his own and I dove for the camera. I just love this kid! I only have four more days to enjoy his one year old days, so I'm relishing every moment.
Here is the boys room. They love it. Picking out the chosen bunk beds was a huge process, so know that they were selected with great care. The kids wanted just the right thing. Also, I painted that shelf with oil based red paint so that it was shiny. I love it! I also used the same paint on their school desks downstairs where they do their homework. I'll have to put pictures up later.

Those stairs are my favorite feature. Tuke sleeps with Ethan and we wanted a safe way for him to get up and down. Plus, there are drawers on the other side of the stairs, and we need all the space we can come up with.
I had planned on spending around 70 to 80 bucks per kid for new matching bedding, but then Target had this huge clearance sale on all bedding and I scored big time! I was so excited. I only paid $29 for each of the blankets and shams and had enough to buy a few more accessories, like pillows and rugs. I also love the bedding; not what I originally had in mind, but these worked out great. I got the  flannel sheets from Costco and now I want a set for myself, they are that soft and comfortable.
Now of course we live just a few miles from the beach now, so along with all the other annoying collector thingies Ethan gets, we are collecting a large mass of stinky shells. I draw the line at bringing home live crabs though. The shells must be empty or they don't get into my car.
The girls room is super bright. It's a very happy room. I thought at first that I may have to paint because that yellow is sooo yellow, but now I kind of like it.
Grandma T. cross stitched that picture hanging on the wall. I thought it looked lovely in here. Every room needs some black, right?
Both kids rooms lead into their own little bathroom. I love it. The last thing I'm going to do in here is hang my huge picture window from my parent's old school above the computer. I'm thinking I'll put a different picture that the girls have drawn into each window pane. Their pictures are so cute and make me happy.
This is, of course, the bed the girls picked out. I love the trundle drawers under each of the bunk beds. It adds a surprisingly large amount of storage to the rooms without big bulky toy boxes to deal with. I love these bunks because they just come apart and are two beds, which is what I wanted but this house just doesn't give us the space.
And that's the girls bedding! I just love it. I can't tell you how many times Brett and I have been thanked by the kids for their new beds and bedding. Probably once every day since they got them. This was sort of our way to help them feel better about moving. The whole lot wasn't unpackaged until our first night here, so the excitement was pretty big.
The girls bookshelves didn't make the cut in their room, so here they are, awkwardly taking up residence in the hallway.

And that's my room. Haven't done much in here but make my bed every day. I'll get around to it, maybe.
And there is my most favorite awkward spot in the house, the dinning area. I'm still at a loss as to what to do here. I'm thinking that next years tax return may go in part to a new square table set. We'll see.
All in all we really like the new house. There are definitely things that bug me, but overall we are comfortable and enjoying ourselves here. Last weekend was general conference and it's was so sweet and nice. I get so excited for ti each Spring and Fall.
I also just got Lily's Christmas stocking kit in the mail so I can start sewing it! I'm so excited; Tyler's turned out so awesome last year, but did take me two months to finish it. I just do it in my spare time.

Sorry this has taken me so long! I just haven't felt like getting online after getting done with all my school work. But I made myself do it today. I hope this makes certain people feel better about us being here. It's really not that bad, really.

No comments: