Thursday, January 24, 2008

It's been a long day

I'm so tired and all I want to do is vent and chill out by myself for a while. I've learned as a mom of three that the only real alone time I get is at night after everyone has gone to bed. I would love to hang out with Brett and talk, but he has to wake up super early for work so he is usually the first to be asleep. The end result is me here on the Internet for company. Have I mentioned I love playing solitaire showdown with my friends on IM? Love it, we get conversation and relaxation.
Today was Lauren's birthday party and I always feel it's my sole responsibility to provide my kids with a fun and memorable birthday experience. Soooo, today I woke up and started cleaning. I'm weird and for some reason I can't accomplish anything else until my house is clean. Beds made, laundry washed and put away, floors swept, dishes done, toilets clean; stuff like that. So I got the house clean and we looked up cakes online until we found the Candy Land cake and Lauren said that's what she wanted. Did I mention that my kids think I'm the coolest mom ever today? The cake was a hit.
So I made a list of grocery items for the cake and the pizzas and we all hit the showers. HOLY COW! Getting four humans showered and clothed is so much work. Some days I just don't think it's worth the effort. I call those days jammy days. We stay in our jammies all day. Of course we wake up and put fresh jammies on, but no showering or primping is involved. Yeah for jammy days! I have a feeling tomorrow will be jammy day.
At this point of the day I was feeling pretty accomplished, particularly when I stepped on the scale and it said 139! Woohoo!!!! I finally breached the 140 mark!
Now it was already 1:30 so I started panicking because I was running out of time. The cake was going to take at least two hours of effort. I had to get dough rising for the pizza and I HAD to get kids down for naps so I could wrap presents and take care of feeding, diapering and entertaining Lily in between. I bribed Lauren into being my helper by giving her a present early. She got to open up her new tennis outfit and wear it for the day. Yeah, that worked for like five minutes. Then Lauren spilled her chocolate milk everywhere and I had to clean the floor again. Then Ethan had an accident, and Lily wanted me and I didn't even get out of the house until nearly three.
So I drove to the only store in Middleton because I didn't have time to run into town and they have hardly any candy selection at all. I bought what I could and improvised on the rest. We got back home and I got grumpy with each of my children at different times. Ethan kept pretending he had to "go" and kept leaving his room. Lauren was so excited for her party that she kept crying loudly and saying she wanted her birthday now. Then I had to kneed the dough and decorate the cake with Lily in her car seat up on the counter while I sang Silent Night, which always seems to calm her and make her smile. By 5:30 none of my kids had actually slept, but I did get everything done except wrap presents. My Mom-in-law got here at that time and saved me in the wrapping presents situation. Which worked out kind of nice for me since I despise wrapping. My presents are always the crappy looking ones with tape wrapped all around them under the tree.
At this point I just got to chill out and have some fun. I like this part. We had fun building our own little pizzas and topping them how we wanted and then presents were opened and cake was eaten. Maybe more candy than cake actually. It was more work than I like, but my kids had so much fun and loved it, so it was worth it.
Okay, I've vented enough, talked to Julie on IM for a while; it's time for bed. I'm going to go to bed and listen to "Tale of Two Cities" and I'll even try to pay attention. Just so everyone knows, I think Charles Dickens was an immoral jerk who seriously needed to edit out all the extra crap in his novels. Interesting story lines and great fictional characters, and even with all this he makes it hard to get through his stories. But that's a whole different blog...

5 comments:

*LaUrA* said...

You totally had a "super mom" day and deserve a ton of credit. What lucky little kids you have! I would have ordered the pizzas(kneed dough?huh?)and purchased the cake already made(which almost always ends up tasting pretty artificial..yuck) so...you deserve a big round of applause for pulling a great party off! That cake is definitely one to remember and one that I might just have to steal in the future...it looks like the cake where you are the envy of all the neighbors because all the kids think you are amazing!

Great job! I have to hand it to ya every time...you have 3 kiddos and are amazing!

*LaUrA* said...

oh...I also wanted to tell you that I really like your new template! Very cute!

Jana Dille said...

I'm so glad you found us! I called Brett to get his email so I could have some way of staying in touch with you guys but this is way better. Your kids are adorable! Ethan looks so old! He looks different than the last time I saw him. It's been a while. I need to get your web address so I can add you to my site. If you want email it to me jldxango@hotmail.com or you can put it on a post and then I'll delete it. Which ever you'd prefer. Tell Brett hi and I'm glad things are going so great for you guys. I love your new house! Have fun organizing. I love doing that kinda stuff too. And I loved the birthday cake!

Roxanne said...

Sounds like a busy day. I am always so tired on my kids birthdays. I never realized how much work it is being a mom on these special days. Your kids are so cute and getting way too big. Phoenix misses Ethan, he talks about him all the time.

julie said...

Go you! But um, Dickens was immoral? I didn't know that. Have you read a bio or something? He does write too much extra crap, but he is NOTHING to Victor Hugo...now that man can ramble!