Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Our birth story and stats




Okay, more pictures. I can't take enough. So my water broke Saturday morning and we waited all day for labor to start. We went shopping, went for a walk on the canyon, went out for lunch. Nothing. So around 6 or 7 we decided we had better go to the hospital to keep an eye on how the baby was doing and make sure no infection had happened. The staff and my doctor really wanted to induce me and check me and all that stuff, but I said lets just wait and see how this goes. Around 11 I kicked Brett out and told him to go home to bed. He drives me crazy when he can't do anything. He sits there and fidgets and makes me want to smack him! Then I tried to sleep, in between the nurses coming in and out to check my temperature, blood pressure and the babies heart beat. We were perfect and I had no signs at all of going into labor. Sunday morning my doctor came in and asked me what I would let them do. I told him I wanted to wait a while longer and see if maybe I could get labor going myself. Normally I'm not the natural inductions kind, but I was going crazy and stuck in a hospital, one of my least favorite places to be. After Doctor Coleman left I tried a natural induction method and it worked. I was giving myself contractions that went from 10 to 8 to 6 and then to 5 and 6 minutes apart. I stopped and let my body take over after about an hour which was about 1 pm. Brett was their having fun timing my contractions on his ipod. He was driving me nuts with the clicking! Once I stopped forcing them, they started to putter out and get farther apart, but that kick start was all my body needed. At around 1:30 my body took over and I was in labor whether I wanted to be or not. Let me just say, I've never taken anything during labor. I've been 100% all natural up to this point and I couldn't believe how much worse these contractions hurt then with my other two children. I was in serious pain and on all fours having Brett rub my back as hard as he could. When the contractions got about 4 minutes apart I told Brett to tell the nurses they could check me now. I hadn't allowed any checks yet because my water had broken. I didn't want to be put on a time limit, but I knew this was it so there wasn't any need to worry. Doctor Coleman came in and was pleased I had gone into labor. He checked me and said I was 4 cm dilated and 90% effaced. About 10 minutes later I told Brett I was getting close and to have the nurse come check. I was at 6 cm and complete. She said I was doing great and to call if I needed help. About a minute later I knew I was at 7 or 8 cm because I wanted drugs bad!!! Like so bad I was ready to kill anyone who tried to stop me. I was whimpering to Brett to get the nurse so we could see what they could do to help. I just wanted something to take the edge off so I could finish. I really did not want to be there! She told me I could have an epidural or something through the IV. I asked what the risks were and she said the iv one could possibly cause breathing problems in the baby. NO WAY! Are you kidding me? Who would take something like that? So I said fine, an epidural, and I want it now because I'm pushing this baby out within the hour. She was really nice and very helpful, but I don't think she believed me. So a few minutes later they have the iv in and this crazy dude with a bandanna and a goatee came in and stuck this needle in my back that looked like it could kill me. That was the worst thing I've ever experienced. I was having contraction after contraction right on top of each other and I was being forced to sit up while shaking so bad I thought he was going to mess up. It was torture and I told them to get done because I needed to push. Up to this point I hadn't even had any relief. I laid down as soon as he was done and said time to push. The dubious nurse checked and said, "Get the doctor!" FINALLY I was getting some relief. I was so relieved to just not have the pain from the contractions any more. I could feel everything except my stomach and back pain which I was perfectly fine with. Dr. Coleman came in and Lily was born! The small dose of anesthesia they were able to get in just numbed right where I could feel contractions so it made my pushing not quite as effective as normal which made Lily my hardest baby to push out. But a few minutes and she was here. Brett just stood there kind of stunned and stared at the baby. Then the nurse said, "Well, are you going to tell her what it is?" and Brett said, "Oh! It's a girl!" 2:41 pm was her official birth time. She weighed 7 pounds, 9 ounces and was 20 inches long, my shortest baby yet. I was very surprised to find out she was a girl, I totally thought it was a boy. She was put on my chest and latched right on and nursed for about 10 minutes. We came home the next morning and now we are leaning to nurse together. Lauren is in love with her little sister and Ethan is slowly getting used to the idea that it's not a boy. Hee, hee. He's started singing to her and taking lots of pictures though, so I think he secretly loves her.Then her daddy is so excited! He's the sweetest daddy ever and is loving his newest baby girl.

2 comments:

The Ross Family said...

Congratulations! She is so precious! We wish we could be there now, but we can't wait to see her at Christmas! We love you guys!

Ashley and Dave said...

Neat story. I loved to hear people's birth stories, I feel like I am there in the moment, hearing dumb Brett clicking away on his ipod- ha, that was funny. I don't remember Dave really doing anything annoying except they put in a movie while we were waiting for my labor to get moving and dave begged me to watch Star Wars 1, I still wonder why to this day I said yes.